|Season 1, Episode 7|
|Air date||March 19, 2012|
|Written by||Jason Grote|
|Directed by||Mimi Leder|
"The Workshop" is the 7th episode of Season 1, and the 7th episode of the series overall.
Everything comes to a head as Eileen, Derek and the team present “Marilyn The Musical” to would-be investors. Ivy is under pressure to perform, while her mother, Broadway star Leigh Conroy, undermines her at every turn. Karen must decide between the workshop and a meeting with a big-time music producer. Julia and Michael must face up to the consequences of their actions.
- Julia Houston - Debra Messing
- Derek Wills - Jack Davenport
- Karen Cartwright - Katharine McPhee
- Tom Levitt - Christian Borle
- Ivy Lynn - Megan Hilty
- Ellis Tancharoen - Jaime Cepero
- Dev Sundaram - Raza Jaffrey
- Eileen Rand - Anjelica Huston
- Bernadette Peters as Leigh Conroy
- Will Chase as Michael Swift
- Neal Bledsoe as John Goodwin
- Leslie Odom, Jr. as Sam Strickland
- Thorsten Kaye as Nick
- Emory Cohen as Leo Houston
- Brighter Than the Sun by Colbie Caillat. Sung by Karen.
- Everything's Coming Up Roses by Gypsy. Sung by Leigh. (unreleased)
The Workshop Medley :
- Let Me Be Your Star by Smash. Sung by Ivy.
- The 20th Century Fox Mambo by Smash. Sung by Ivy and the ensemble.
- History is Made at Night by Smash. Sung by Ivy and Michael.
- The National Pastime by Smash. Sung by Ivy.
- On Lexington & 52nd Street by Smash. Sung by Michael. (released as a single)
- This episode scored a 2.3 rating 18-49 with 6.67 million total viewers.
|Pilot • The Callbacks • Enter Mr. DiMaggio • The Cost of Art • Let's Be Bad • Chemistry • The Workshop • The Coup • Hell on Earth • Understudy • The Movie Star • Publicity • Tech • Previews • Bombshell|